Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's Resolution - Part Deux

Wednesday was the day! Food: check; Clothing: check; Movie schedule: check

Off and running with a mall mango smoothie for fortification, I entered the 16-plex.  Ticket seller gave me the senior price without me asking--good omen or was it a mistake to wear the velour warmups? First pitfall: my scheduled second movie choice was in Theater 1--all the way across the lobby, a tactical risk. Worse yet, an unanticipated factor: AMC employees must have just finished a customer service training video. I never had so many people saying hello to me and wishing me a nice day, even though I walked with head down and avoided eye contact. Would they remember me six hours later when I was still haunting the hallways?

My first pick was in lucky screening room 16--all the way down the long corridor, allowing a leisurely look at each theater's movie and next start time. Movie was Black Swan. There's nothing like a psycho sexual thriller at 11:30 a.m. to get the blood pumping.  In fact, when I stopped in the Ladies Room afterwards, I flinched at the rivulet of dark pink liquid soap spilling down the sink, mistaking it for a trail of blood.

I considered a change in the movie schedule, switching my second and third choices, as I passed the theater for # 3 movie on my way back to the lobby, but the timing was wrong. The coming attractions had eaten up a full 15 minutes and now I had no choice but to cross over to Theater 1.  The garrulous manager with the headpiece was nowhere in sight, so I sidled over to the Ladies Room next to the two lone theaters. The sign over Theater 1 flashed "cleaning", although it was five minutes until showtime. I slipped back into the bathroom for another few minutes and then with my best Pink Panther moves eased into the darkness for True Grit.

I had just seen the original on tv and they actually stuck pretty close to the same plot, although much was made about the Coen Brothers returning to the original book. "Hey, little sister," Jeff Bridges was good--took ownership of the role that was created by John Wayne. Matt Damon and the girl who played Maddie were also excellent. The tone was still humorous but a more realistic look at the West than the original.

Time to cross the lobby again, but now at 4:00 p.m., it was getting more crowded. Safety in numbers and I completed movie #3 The Fighter with no problem.  The movie was a surprisingly good fight story,set among the shanty Irish of Lowell, Mass and based on a true story. Great performances by the actors Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale and Amy Adams in this dysfunctional family tale of crack addiction, sibling rivalry and eventual redemption.  (It did have the requisite training run through the streets, but no Rocky song or flourishing finish at the top of the museum steps.)

And then it was time for movie number four. TA DA!  Well, like countless ice skating Olympians before me,  I was forced to substitute the triple for the quad and that spelled an end to my championship dream. I found the training just wasn't there. I was tired and hungry, my back hurt and the choices for number 4 were poor. But I'll be back next year, determined to make the quad.

On the way out, I realized I had left my purchases from Macy's behind. (probably during the first movie) The security guard said I could go check (Velour warmups open doors)  No luck, but I was philosophical on my long walk back down the corridor. Maybe crime doesn't pay. I knew my brother would be happy that there was some retribution for my lapse in morality--4 movies for the price of one, indeed! I could hear my mother saying "See, God punished you"  and felt that Maddie Ross of True Grit would have approved.

The guard, however, suggested I check with Guest Services, who asked when I had lost the package. "It was earlier in the day" I replied. "I just came back now."  The Macy's bag appeared from under the counter.  Awesome. Crime does pay!  As I passed the guard, I actually said this:
"So heartwarming that there are still honest people out there. "  ....just not me! ha!

I don't know why I get such a kick out of sneaking into the movies. I think that's something you're supposed to do when you're 14 years old. Well, I missed my chance, always being the good girl, so I'm catching up now. Everyone needs their Thelma and Louise moment and you have to admit that sneaking into movies pales in comparison to blowing up a tractor trailer or locking up a highway patrolmen in the trunk of his car, to say nothing of driving into the Grand Canyon!

Happy New Year to all and let me know your themes for 2011. Mine will be the year of writing...and don't worry, I plan to expand beyond blog posts, so you won't be inundated!

1 comment:

  1. And they say you lose ambition when you stop working. I don't care what anyone says - I'm impressed! I can't stay awake through one move and you stayed alert through three! Good job!

    ReplyDelete