Friday, October 8, 2010

As autumn follows summer

Welcome to the Autumn of Ginny, the sequel to my successful Summer of Eric 2010 blog. Many people told me how much they enjoyed SOE2010, so I decided to plunge in and continue. The SOE reported my 9 day, 4000 mile cross country trip from New Jersey to San Francisco via North Dakota with my sons. Now a trip like that is bound to be interesting and made for great blog material. As for this blog about my life and musings-- maybe not so much. We'll see how it goes!


Not the K's I know

The other night at dinner, husband Gary and I discussed a most unlikely topic: that other K family, the Kardashians. While waiting for a haircut, with no Sports Illustrated or Golf magazine in sight, Gary had picked up US magazine and was now a fount of information on Kim, Khloe and Kourtney.  (How about that nice alliteration and fanciful spelling?)



Did you know, I questioned my daughter later that night, that:
  • Me:   Their father was O.J. Simpson's lawyer?
  • Beth: Yes
  • Me:   Their stepfather is Bruce Jenner, the former Olympic Decathalete?                     
  • Beth: Yes
  • Me:   They've been on the air an incredible 3 years and have set records for most watched show? 
  • Beth: Yes, Mom, where have you been?
Apparently, not following one of the most popular reality shows. The idea of becoming immersed in the lives and high times of these tv made celebrities is appalling to me. Who cares what they do? Whereas, I'm sure all readers will be fascinated by every detail of my life. Should I start with my unfortunate sex tape that launched my career, my appearance on Dancing with the Stars, my rumored plastic surgery and botox, my dabbling in tatoos or my clothing boutiques?  Oh, wait a minute, that's all about that other K woman. 

Seriously, I'll probably start with Tuesday Movie Day, my passion for reading (two reading groups!), my involvement with a terrific non profit breast cancer org, with a few chosen rants on medical care and always a celebration of life in the slow lane.  You're fortunate that I have no grandchildren--yet.   So, is blogging about your own mundane life even more appalling?  I choose not to take an instant poll on that one.

Moral of the story: Before you get on your high horse, all huffy and self righteous about celebrity seeking junkies, examine your own motivation!

I've examined mine and Andy Warhol may have really been onto something when he said "in the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes."   Note the uncanny resemblance in these pictures, especially the eyes, nose and mouth.  Imagine me with dark eyebrows:


Andy Warhol and me circa 1977



6 comments:

  1. Even I knew that about the other K's. Love you blog. Can't wait for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should send the blog to the NY Times. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. alright! i make an appearance in the first blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can think of is Artie Johnson signing off with "I love you Lucy" but then I'm old school, Yo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't get a job just keep doing this it is infinitely more fun..
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Autumn of Ginny? Why not the Year of Ginny? The Decade of Ginny? I love it! (P.S. I didn't know that about the Kardashians. Any of it. Nor did I know you had a sex tape, but hey, that's none of my business.)

    ReplyDelete