Thursday, January 13, 2011

Spa-cation

Just returned from the midweek Mohonk Mountain House spa-cation. Their word, not mine.  It was a wonderful getaway with gourmet meals, daily spa treatment, beautiful setting in the Catskills, rustic hotel, outdoor activities and sunshiny days. I even went snowshoeing. Our husbands were off skiing the French Alps at Chamonix, so three of us, plus daughters,  arranged this outing. (I had a friend fill in as my substitute daughter, since Beth was in Florida at Harry Potter World--drinking butterbeer.)

Butter Beer Beth
The hotel, a national historic landmark, stretches along the lake for a half mile, with the oldest section built in 1879 and the newest in 1906.

I love hotels like this--lots of polished, carved wood, big windows, fireplaces and cozy lounges. 


It took me a day to realize we had no tv in our room, although there was a public tv lounge and an internet room. I was going to abstain from internet activity, but, hey, I had to check on the approaching storm. (The pull of my digital self is very strong)

Women always get glassy eyed and jealous when they hear about someone with such a lovely spa adventure, but a word of advice.  There is a danger of overmassaging, as you can see from the picture below.  I'm on the left, smiling, but that jellied-arm looseness and total relaxation has spread even to my hair follicles, which are flattened out and unwilling to perk up despite the hair mousse. 



Some people are just better at spa-ing, as my friend on the right demonstrates--happy relaxed smile, glowing skin, and, damn, her hair looks good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment