Wednesday, January 19, 2011

This day in history - January 19

I'm a sucker for This Day in History items. In fact, my first blog last year was exclusively on NJ history. (never went viral).  Today, January 19, is my younger brother Peter's birthday, so let's explore this happy day. 

Many famous birthdays are celebrated today, including Edgar Allen Poe (born in 1809). Baltimoreans are keeping watch for the famous Poe Toaster who for the last 60 years has marked the birthday with three roses and a half finished bottle of cognac left on Poe's grave. The toaster missed last year, perhaps finishing off the cognac instead, but let's hope he's there this time.

There are a number of musical giants born this day: Rocker Janis Joplin (1943) and Country Star Dolly Parton (1946) and two who died this day: Rockabilly Carl Perkins (1998) and the soulful Wilson Pickett (2006). That must explain my brother's late blooming musical talent with original songs like Kelly, Kelly (dedicated to their guinea pig and soon to be on You-Tube).

Paul Cezanne, the famous artist was born this day in 1839. My mother always promised Peter art lessons at the museum and who knows where he'd be today, if he'd had them....perhaps painting native women on the Fiji Islands.

Robert E. Lee was also born today, in 1807. Lincoln asked him to be commander in chief ot the Union Army, but, alas, poor Robert decided to be loyal to his native Virginia and ended up on the losing side. I can't find any significance in this event for my brother. He's not a loser, I don't care what you've heard. (Just kidding-- is that too Ricky Gervais?)

Jean Stapleton, of All in the Family fame, shares this birthday (born 1923) and any resemblance to my mother is just coincidental.

Among the daring exploits of this day (not counting when Pete and my father raked the snow off the roof of our house in 1970) is Howard Hughes transcontinental flight in 1937.

With the revised zodiac replacing the familiar one, which didn't  factor in the earth's wobble and the fact that the sidereal (star) positions are based on the sky 2000 years ago, my brother has now morphed from a Capricorn to a Sagittarius. (me, too)

We've gone from hard working,  focused, materialistic, humorous but reserved goat-loving people to crazy centaurs who are optimistic, fun loving, more philosophical and spiritual, honest and free wheeling. Sure, as Capricorns, we would occasionally be capricious, but now the lid is off and we're able to enjoy unlimited freedom, unusual ideas and being on the move all the time. I don't know about myself, but perhaps some truth in this for my brother who embraces yoga, guitar playing and song writing.  And for both of us, the children of Buffy's arch enemy, we've embraced a truly unusual idea--loving a dog.

Whatever our new planet Jupiter dictates for us, I toast my brother with cognac and wish him all good things for the coming year  (and hasten to warn him about the Sagittarian's weakness for  gambling, which inexplicably has affected the Aquarius and Aries members of our family).



      No comments:

      Post a Comment