Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Love, Loss and What I Wore

I saw this play last week, when my original plan to see Laura Linney in Time Stands Still was scuttled by her absence. The TKTS booth offered Love, Loss and What I Wore, a Nora Ephron anthology that promised a light afternoon of laughter.  The theatre was dominated by women and I swear I had seen Vagina Monologues years before in the same venue.  Five actresses take the stage, sitting on chairs, reading the script and assuming different roles. It delivered the laughs, as promised, but got me to thinking about the theme.

It's such a great idea--why didn't i think of it? You do remember what you wore with the happy or sad times, the favorite childhood clothes, the adolescent angst with your mother, the times you felt so cool in your boots or your hippie vest or so hot in that little black dress!

Judging by my husband, who adored his purple stretch bellbottoms with the buttons on the fly and his American flag pants, I would venture to say this association to clothing applies to men, too, although most wouldn't admit it. (and fewer still can actually say they still own those clothes, tucked away in a box in the basement)

What was your favorite childhood outfit?  When I was 10, I got red leather gloves for Christmas to wear to church with my "good" coat. But, I discovered when wearing them outside to play that a snow ball would turn reddish from the leather dye and a whole new adventure began.  We had snowmen with red eyes, snow cars with red backup lights and snow forts with red doorknobs. (yes, lots of snow in Schenectady). The gloves were ruined and my mother was not pleased.

Neither was she pleased when she caved to my pleas, supported by my Aunt Marcella, to buy denim shorts a few summers later. I was thrilled. They were light blue (because Mom absolutely refused to go for the dark denim--"so mannish"), very tight, knee length. I wore them with a button down, yellow oxford shirt with a light blue stripe. 

My other aunt, who also had only sons, had her own idea of how to dress me and every Christmas I got an expensive shirtwaist dress from Klopman's--even into the sixties, when I just died having to wear it. The last one I remember had a white background with red flowers and a red accent belt. Even my mother agreed it was time to tell Aunt Be that the reign of the shirtwaist dress was over.

From college I remember my first pair of jeans in freshman year, when my roommate took me to downtown Ithaca's Army Navy Store to buy boys jeans because they didn't make them for girls. Later, a group of us were sitting in someone's dorm room, sprawled across the bed or hunched together on the floor, discussing the great issues of the day, when someone commented. "Look we're all wearing blue jeans!"  I also had a favorite red and white flowered peasant blouse and a yellow Indian print dress with huge sleeves.

Years later,(no connection to the story above!) when I was pregnant and finally had a Dolly Parton chest, I sported a navy sundress with cleavage, an unheard of experience for me. (now if only I hadn't had that big belly!)

Happy times--the clothes I bought for a Bermuda getaway (without kids)-- and sad times--the black pinstriped pants suit (very IBM) that I bought for my father's funeral, but never wore again.

So, think back to your favorite (and unfavorite) clothes and I'll think you'll find a story connected to them.  Indulge yourself and share with us, if you dare!

2 comments:

  1. Ginny - great topic! Clothes were always important to me. As a child, my mother dressed my sister and me alike - only her dress might be red and mine might be blue (I remember JoAnne always getting the "girl" colors and I always got blue). When I was 10, I got for my birthday a t-shirt with my initials on it and a wrap skirt. And I wore knickers to my cousin's engagement party when I was 16 (yes, knickers were a trend in the early 80s for, like, a minute).

    I can picture you in the outfits you describe!

    How was the Nora Ephron play? I read her memoir, "I feel bad about my neck" and liked it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Initials on your shirt a la Laverne and Shirley? I love it! I can't say that I remember the knickers fad.....

    ReplyDelete