Sunday, January 4, 2015

Happy New Year!


I’m starting the New Year with new blood, a new medication and a new outlook. I’m hoping for more energy and less self pity! Thoroughly enjoyed the holidays and spent my 64th birthday out for dinner with Gary and son Eric. Eric posed the three birthday questions:

1. What are you most proud of that you did in the last year?

I could say climbing the Notch Trail in the Badlands of South Dakota in August.


Or I could say standing for 4 hours outside the Good Morning America broadcast in Times Square to be acknowledged by Rob the weatherman on October 13 National Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day with my other cancer buddies.


But, I think I’ll go with a more serious role. On October 13, the MBC Alliance released its year long report on Changing the Landscape for Those Living with Metastatic Breast Cancer". Supported by over 30 organizations and led by a dynamic team, the Alliance is poised to make a difference and I’m so happy that I’m part of that effort.


2. What are you glad you never have to do again?

I’m not allowed to say Fantasy Football, even though I came in last in the Jersey Bowl league and had a frustrating year. I just want to win without having to learn too much about football-- is that asking too much?

So I am going with never having to go to another cave! I ended my speleology career with Wind Cave and Jewel Cave in South Dakota. Jewel Cave was pitifully bereft of ‘jewels’ as far as I could see and the fact that Gary’s great grandparents were part of the townspeople who clamored to protect the caves, just wasn’t enough of a thrill for me. I knew we were in trouble when the Park Ranger kept referencing other caves he had been to which were obviously more awesome to the point where I was ready to yell, “Well, we’re stuck in this stupid cave, so tell us something neat about it!”

I started as a kid going to Howe Caverns in upstate NY which even featured a spooky boat ride and it’s been hard to beat that formative experience. I’ve seen more than my share of caves- National Parks and private:

Luray Caverns (VA)--still remember the tour guide with the cute Southern accent comparing stalactites to Bugs Bunny’s carrots.

Oregon Caves (OR)–located south of Crater Lake.

Mammouth Cave (KY) – like entering a 3 story, rock hewn parking garage (no formations).

Great Basin (NV) -story of discoverer collapsing through to the cave while on his horse was the best part.

Wind Cave (SD)--discovered when unsuspecting hiker put down his hat and had it sucked into an opening of the cave—very strong draft.

Jewel Cave (SD) --no jewels.

So I’m hoping to pass on any trips to New Mexico’s Carlsbad Caverns. (Are you reading this, Gary?)


3. What are your goals for the upcoming year? 

It’s nice my birthday coincides with New Year's Day, so I only have to make resolutions once. It cuts in half the guilt of breaking resolutions, which according to reliable internet sources, occurs within the first month for 90% of the public. After much thought, I have resolved to:

· give up my Y membership (it’s become only a charitable deduction);

· refrain from joining any more book groups (although I love them and the 4th one is a facebook group, so does that really count?);

· and pay attention again to my sorely neglected blog.

Happy New Year to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment