Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Vegetables

Like some of you, I grew up with mushy broccoli, overcooked asparagus, canned string beans and turnips hidden in mashed potato because that's the only way they could be eaten. I've tried to do a better job with veggies- stir frying, steaming, and crisp cooking, but I still find I'm woefully inadequate compared to the modern Epicurious cook.

A perfect example was my recent trip to Mohonk Mountain House with friends who all enjoy cooking. My faux pas was registering surprise that the delicious cream of parsnip and leek soup was slightly sweet. "Of course," they chorused, "that would be the parsnips."  From there it went downhill, as I admitted that not only had I never cooked with parsnips, but I had trouble conjuring up what they looked like.  "Oh, they're green, I mean white-ish and round--no, I mean long....." Very embarrassing and this from a woman who has vowed to cook more vegetarian meals this year.

I usually implicate Gary as a reason for my shortcomings, so here it is:  The man loves food---he can eat gourmet, but is perfectly happy with plain, downhome cooking, including leftovers. ("oh, boy, open up the tupperware for a "bin" night dinner").  How can I be expected to know the exotic new (actually old) vegetables with a guy who still loves frozen mixed vegetabes (with the little diced carrots)!

Here's a little quiz to identify these au courant veggies.  BONUS round: how many have you cooked with or eaten?
Veggie #1


Veggie #2  Hint: it's not moss

Veggie #3

Veggie #4 Hint: not carrots

Veggie #5 Pay attention, Beth



Veggie #6
Veggie #7 Hint: not rhubarb


Veggie #8 The circle game--looks a bit like #1, doesn't it?


And the answers are:

  1. fennel - anise flavored- use raw in salads or oven roast
  2. endive frisee aka chicory - for salads, although occasionally pop up as "wilted" in pasta
  3. Belgian endive - these white boat-like cradles are available year round because they're grown in the dark for a month (like mushrooms), starting with the roots of chicory plant  - use raw for salads or stuffed hors d'oevre or can be baked
  4. parsnip - looks like white carrots, slightly sweet; good for soup or stews
  5. turnip - purplish on the outside, not orange, as my daughter guessed; inside is white--to blend with mashed potatoes, of course; good also in stews or roasted
  6. leek - in the onion family, raw for salads or cooked in soups, stews; popular in Wales--oh those crazy Welsh!
  7. Swiss chard -  boil up the leaves and white stems for soups or stews. Colored stems are tough and no, not native to Switzerland, but popular along the Mediterranean
  8. kohlrabi aka German turnip - often used raw in salads; tastes like broccoli stems. Yuk?
If you get them all right, go directly to Gourmet magazine, join the Foodie club and don't ever eat dinner at my house.  It's an icy day here, so I'm off to saute some non-Swiss chard and stuff some endive with goat cheese. Boy, will Gary be surprised.  Bon Appetit.

3 comments:

  1. Your brother Joe said that he also had spinach quite often when growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how could I have forgotten--with ketchup, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did pretty good on the quiz, but that's cause I've been making a lot of soup. In my home growing up vegetables were limited to just peas spinich and that's about it.3

    ReplyDelete